Figure 2-1.Department of Defense Hazardous Chemical Warning Label, DD Form 2522 (1C).
called Hazardous Material Control and Management
users on the hazards and precautions of that material.
(HMC&M). This database contains several publica-
tions and a system called the Hazardous Material Infor-
mation System (HMIS). The HMIS provides over
70,000 MSDSs for materials used within the Depart-
ment of Defense.
The MSDS must be available to any user of
hazardous material. CD-ROM systems with the
HMC&M are provided on board every ship and shore
station. The MSDS is used to train hazardous material
1. General information, including an emergency
2. Ingredients and identity information
3. Physical/chemical characteristics
4. Fire and explosion hazard data
5. Health and hazard data, including first aid