commonly used or handled by Electronics Technicians:
solvents, aerosol containers, polychlorinated
biphenyls, batteries, and vacuum tubes.
Varnishes, lacquers, cleaning fluids, and some
paints contain solvents that can ignite at relatively low
temperatures. Such materials pose a serious fire hazard.
Some solvents give off toxic vapors that are harmful if
you inhale them. Some will also cause serious problems
if they come in contact with your skin.
Many solvents are used in the day-to-day
maintenance of electronic equipment. The safest
solvents are those that dissolve in water (water-based).
If water-based solvents wont work, the two most
popular non-water-based solvents are trichloroethane
and methyl alcohol. Both of these are EXTREMELY
flammable. Use these only when you have adequate
When you use hazardous paints or solvents, always
follow these safety precautions:
If you spill them, wipe them up immediately.
Place rags or other items you use to clean them
up in a separate, covered container.
Use protective clothing, goggles, gloves, or
other appropriate safeguards to prevent the
paints or solvents from getting on your skin or
in your eyes.
Have accessible fire-fighting equipment
Have adequate ventilation.
Dispose of the paints and solvents when you no
longer need them. Make sure you dispose of
them properly. If you are unsure of the disposal
procedures, check with the safety officer.
Store flammable solvents in approved
flammable storage lockers. Make sure you
store flammable and corrosive materials
Do Not use carbon tetrachloride. This is a
highly toxic compound and is banned from
use. Use trichloroethane instead.
Do Not smoke or use an open flame or allow
anyone else to do so in areas where paint,
varnishes, lacquers, or solvents are being used.
10. Do Not breathe the vapors of any cleaning
solvent for prolonged periods. If you dont
have proper ventilation, use a respirator.
11. Do Not spray cleaning solvents on electrical
windings or insulation.
12. Do Not apply cleaning solvents to heated
equipment, since this could cause a fire.
Aerosol containers are everywhere. You use them
to groom your hair, to clean and freshen your living
quarters, and to paint parts of the equipment you work
on. When properly used, aerosol containers will
dispense their chemicals quickly and effectively. But if
theyre misused, they can hurt you and cause damage
to your surroundings. To prevent this, you must be
aware of the dangers of aerosol containers and how to
protect yourself from them.
Before using any aerosol container, read the label
on the container. It usually has instructions on how to
use, store, and dispose of the container safely. Do Not
ignore these instructions. If you do, you may become
sick from the toxic effects of the chemicals in the
container. Or, even worse, you may be seriously
injured if the container explodes.
Here are some basic rules to follow when using
Make sure you have plenty of ventilation when
you use aerosols that contain dangerous or toxic
gases. If you must use such aerosols when
ventilation is not adequate, wear the appropriate
Dispose of the containers according to the
instructions of your supervisor. Some aerosol
containers are considered hazardous waste.
Keep all aerosol containers away from open
flames, sunlight, heaters, and other possible
sources of heat.
Do Not spray paint or other protective coatings
on warm or energized equipment. You may
cause a fire.
Do Not spray any paints or solvents on your
skin. Some liquids in aerosol containers may
burn you, while others may cause a skin rash.
Do Not dent or puncture these containers. They
are pressurized and can explode if dented or